Monday, August 26, 2013

The Randomness of Tragedy

There was a horrible tragedy in my old neighborhood over the weekend.  A young child died in a very terrible accident.

It's not about fault or blame or what could have been prevented.  It's just a mind numbing .....dullness of emotion that comes along with hearing such tragic news.

I didn't know the child or his family.  That doesn't matter.  I think everyone who heard the story is feeling it today.  Just the utter....randomness of the loss. one minute there, the next gone.  Not a drawn out, protracted sickness.  Just a quick accident, a few days of suffering and then death of a young child.

Honestly, I can't really process how things like this happen.  Not in fairness or unfairness or randomness of the world way.  Just that a young soul was here and is now gone.  How should i react to that.

I can't react.  it just hurts me, a complete, unrelated stranger.

I can't even imagine what the family is going through.  Honestly, I don't even want to.  it makes me feel ill.

No real point here.  I'm just trying to process the best way I know how - by writing about it here.

Soon, we will all continue on  - move along folks, nothing to see here.  But a family will have a hole in it - a hole that, I imagine, will never fill.  A hole that will provide pain for that mother and father's natural lives.

I can't imagine it.  I don't want to imagine it.

A child.  A precious life.  Gone in the rush of a propeller blade. 

I can't even write anymore.

1 comment:

  1. It shook me up too. Makes you appreciate the people in your life, even if for just a short while.

    ReplyDelete