Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Girl Who Liked

In a recent post by Chana about I Wish I Could Play Tennis With Tim Riggins* Friday Night Lights, I commented about a super-secret show I loved that I thought dear Chana might enjoy.  A second commenter to the post mentioned he/she was waiting to hear what it was. 

While I find it impossible to believe that anyone actually gives a crap about what I do or do not read, listen to or watch, here are some highlights from that list for you to laugh at enjoy.  In no particular order and with a brief description as well:

*(FYI - Here is Tim Riggins ladies.  Have at it!)

*************************************************************************

George RR Martin's Game Of Thrones - Quite possibly, the greatest series of books I have ever read.  No, scratch that.  Absolutely the greatest series of books I have ever read. 

Mr. Martin does a phenomenal job of turning the dreaded "fantasy" genre into absolute art.  Highly entertaining, engrossing and (at least in HBO's wonderful adaptation) full of sex. 

Upside:  Great characters, great story, wonderful read.  HBO's aforementioned adaptation is also brilliantly done and absolutely must watch TV.  Unless you suck.  Or you are a prude.  In which case you probably don't suck.

Downside:  Based on pictures of George, it's 50/50 at best that he will live long enough to finish writing the series (which is so far five volumes done, with at least 2 if not more to go).

HBO's Game of Thrones - See above.  See also this.  And this.  And tell me this isn't a show worth watching.  Unless you suck. Or you are a prude. In which case you probably don't suck.


FX's Justified - Forget the fact that Timothy Olyphant is a handsome dude.  Forget the fact that each season is like 2 episodes.  Forget the fact that i am unforgivably an entire season behind on this show. -Watch is solely for the absolutely unforgettable performance by Margo Martindale as Mags Bennet in Season 2.  Simply one of the great performances of a female in a "bad guy" role in quite some time. Then you throw in Walton Goggins as Boyd Crowder and you have some seriously awesome television.  This is one of the shows I always watched with my brother and I will really miss that.

Friday Night Lights.  Eh, I'm lazy.  Go read Chana's review.  Or any of the other wonderful reviews of this critical darling that somehow managed to get five seasons despite the fact that no one watched it.  That had to do with the fact that its fans were seriously crazy about the show.  It recently was named one of the top 5 most successfully saved shows by fans:

"Ambitious fans devised three plans to persuade NBC executives that canceling the weepy football drama Friday Night Lights would be a mistake after its little-seen second season. Urging the network to "keep the lights on," they sent light bulbs. In another campaign they mailed as many as 2,500 mini-footballs to NBC. And playing off the show's tagline "clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose," fans sent in bottles of Clear Eyes eyedrops. Ultimately, a cost-sharing partnership between NBC and DirecTV saved the show for three more seasons — though fan enthusiasm certainly didn't hurt."

Tim Riggins, Coach Taylor, Tami Taylor and Matt Saracen were must watch characters for me for five seasons.  And while I was sad to see them go, I was happy to get closure.

GUILTY PLEASURE ALERT!!!

Supernatural - Yes, yes.  I have watched many teen shows in my time.  I have seen every episode of Veronica Mars and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  And I watch these dreamy dudes as well.  Sam, Dean and the angel Castiel make me happy ok?  Not everything has to be art you know.  Sometimes you just want Dean to crack you up or the always terrific Misha Collins as an "angel of the lord".  Ghosts, demons and hot guys?  Saving the world each season from biblical end of the world shit?  Sign me up!

(See also - Gossip Girl - which is basically Supernatural except with better femal characters and the evil doers are human instead of demons.)

The King Killer Trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss -  Once in a while fiction is just raised to another level.  This fantasy genre novel (well two so far with one more on the way - and Rothfuss is young so as long as he lays off the sauce before he drives, we should get the last book by 2013) follows the adventures of Kvothe - who retells the story of his life to a chronicler.  Whats so fabulous about this book is that it's a story within a story - and magnificently done by Rothfuss.  I recently recommended this book to Malka who loved it so much she had sex with it.  Sadly, I'm not even exaggerating that much.

Any novel written by James Lee Burke - Referred to as the William Faulker of crime fiction, James Lee Burke is a master writer.  He paints a scene with such vividness and beauty that it can hurt to read.  His characters are always damaged and usually former drunks, but they are good people who try to do the right thing in an ever increasingly bad world.  I own pretty much every book he's ever written and he's written quite a few.  Thanks Mom and Dad's credit card!

Any novel written by Lee Child - Jack Freaking Reacher.  'Nuff said.

Because they must be on here - The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (and movies) and the Harry Potter series (and movies).


And, finally, the super secret show I was referring to in the comments section of Chanas Blog Post about Tim Riggins:

Sci Fi's re-do of Battlestar Galactica - Sci fi you say?  Space ships?  Robots??  WTF?

All true, dear reader - I admit that I have a geek side to me.  It's true.  But this show is elevated because of extremely gripping story lines, excellent acting and strong female characters galore.  Fair warning - Chana tried the show and didn't like it all that much.  But to me it's a top three show of all time.  Take away space and flying ships and crap and it's still a great story with great acting.

I will always love you Kara Thrace, William Adama and Gaius Baltar!

********************************************************************

So this is by no means a complete list.  But this is a pretty good representation of what I am entertained by.

As always  can't wait for your comments.  :)




1 comment:

  1. no tamora pierce? i am deeply heartbroken. otherwise, a solid list. good shabbos!

    ReplyDelete