Thursday, July 5, 2012

Snippets From a Whirlwind

So I woke up this morning (in our own apartment!!) with a sore throat and a sneezing fit (i.e. the first signs of a bad cold) - I guess it was too much to hope for getting through this week totally fine.  As agreed, David had to go back to work today (he's got much going on and we agreed he was all mine until after the 4th) and I am sitting here, alone for the first time, and trying to put some of my jumbled thoughts into order...

 - Being unable to sleep the entire night before the wedding (I wrote that post Saturday night Irena, not Sunday!) unable to distract myself in any way.  Long, long night.

 - Coming downstairs Sunday morning for late breakfast with the entire family.  Realizing this was the first time I could remember the whole family together (including Bellatrix, Draco and FredGeorge's new fiance) and all of them looking happy and relaxed.  "How can you all sit there and eat?" I asked in shock.  "Because we aren't the one's getting married today," answered FredGeorge, his mouth full of bagel and cream cheese.

 - Getting to the hall 34 hours early to make everyone beautiful.  Luna gets made beautiful first.  She is transformed.  I realize for the first time that my quiet, shy, wallflower sister is by FAR the prettiest of us all.  "My god Luna, you look gorgeous, " I breath.   I am overcome. I get up and I do something I can't remember doing for a very long time.  I hug her.

 - As we get closer to the big moment, tensions start to rise in the Cymbaline women's side.  Voldemort is snapping at everyone and looks like she's just swallowed rotten cheese.  Everyone is properly cowed.  I turn to FredGeorge's fiance, who looks like she's reconsidering the whole marrying into this family thing.  I give her a reassuring smile.

 - I'm ready.  I'm dressed and I'm made up.  Everyone is gushing about how beautiful I look.  I go out to the hall from the room and spy David, relaxed and still in jeans and a t-shirt, schmoozing it up with FredGeorge and David's brother.  Once again I remember how much I hate men.

 - The wedding itself:  I remember just flashes really,the whole thing is a blur.  I'm sitting in the room and people I barely know are coming up to me and wishing me well.  I'm at the "badeking" getting a bracha from my future father in law and then from my dad (who kissed me on the forehead and whispers in my ear how proud he is of me).  I'm under the chupah, walking around David.  We are married and we are whisked away to the yichud room (where David proceeds to completely ignore me half the time and stuff his face, reminding me that he's fasted all day - reason number 3,863 why I hate men).  Dancing.  Dancing with everyone.  Whirling and dancing and sweating.  Dancing with Tova, who really looks like she's made a superhuman effort to be here (Tova who had to leave early to be taken back to the hospital, where she's been.  Tova who promised me she'd be at my wedding ("even if it kills me") and who fulfilled that promise at what I hope was not too dear a cost).

 - My surprise.  It came after a round of dancing, towards the end of the wedding.  As people were heading back to their seats.  David led me to the dance floor, on the women's side of the separation (we had seated my parent's side on the men's side and David's side on the women's).  No announcements, just the band starting to play and David's friend Daniel, who sings, singing "Green is the Color" by none other than Pink Floyd while I got to do the only thing I really wanted to do at my own wedding - Dance with David.  I danced in his arms while people ate desert and I cried happy tears.

 - Jumping into a Limo (so cliche, I know) and driving to a really nice hotel.  And eating!  For the first time that day.  Thank you Mr. Caterer, you were right.  I was going to be hungry even though it was like 2:00 am.

 - Wimbeldon!  The French Open!  The Australian Open!  The US Open!  Tennis is back!

 - July Fourth featured the friends Sheva Brachos - it was entitled "The No Old People Pool Party and BBQ", an almost all day affair made by David's close friends.  And it was really really fun. 

P.S. - For those of you who care, I did dance with my mother, who cast aside Lord Voldemort for the day and, once the party got rolling, really seemed to have a good time.  She was gracious and even hugged me goodbye and David and I got into that limo (and didn't say a word when I came out, after the wedding, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.  Didn't even make a face.  In her house, it was her rules.  But now it's my house and my rules.).  She even took the garment bag with the dress in it and told me she'd find room for it in the house (which, considering the fact that we have like 5 spare bedrooms, seemed especially kind of her - rolls eyes).

So there you have it.  Snippets of a jumbled mind.

Journal, it's good to be back.

9 comments:

  1. Wowww...
    Welcome back :). I'm reading this post and I can't stop smiling :) :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted "Mudmen" at my wedding and my kallah just looked funny at me when I said so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Was falling of the chair laughing at the "Tennis is back!" part. :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally! I've been checking for three days for this post :)

    MAZEL TOV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)
    thats all i can say!
    its the fairy tale ending! Mazal Tov!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D Awesome. (Note that that's the only word I can come up with.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mazel tov.
    Mazel tov, mazel tov, mazel tov.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was white the light that shone through the dress that you wore?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mazel tov mazel tov! (Again!)

    I had feared you would no longer be updating. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    In my experience it's pretty common to catch a cold during the week following one's wedding. (Also during shiva.)

    That Tova is a good friend. I've been praying for her. Please keep us updated on her condition.

    Tennis! Hope you both won! (And how nice that you didn't need to endure a week's probation after your initial game together!)

    (and didn't say a word when I came out, after the wedding, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Didn't even make a face. In her house, it was her rules. But now it's my house and my rules.).

    This, what you described parenthetically, is so striking.

    I'm so glad your mother behaved graciously.

    May your marriage be blessed.

    ReplyDelete