Monday, March 19, 2012

Happiness is a.......

"A warm puppy" (ask the Peanuts gang).

"A warm gun" (ask John Lennon and the Beatles).

"A warm, glowing feeling that doesn't seem to want to go away, that lifts you and holds you in ways you have never felt before" (ask me).

****************************************

Until recently I didn't know what happiness was

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I've never been happy.  Everyone has moments of happiness, even the vast majority of unhappy people.  So I knew what it was like to feel happy - but I had never ever experienced true, enveloping happiness.

To such a degree, dear reader, that when I recently began experiencing true happiness, I had no idea what it was I was feeling.  It took me days to process (yes, I know how sad that is).  Was it gas?  Indigestion?  A delayed high from some drug I took 5 years ago? 

But then it hit me - that euphoric feeling I was having, that sustained euphoria, was happiness.

This realization came in two stages:

 Stage I - "Wow, that's happiness!!  And happiness feels awesome!!"

Followed by Stage II - "Wow, I just realized it took me two days to realize I was happy because I have never been really happy before" (which, for the record, feels less awesome, however that less awesome realization got washed away in the glow of happiness)!

So dear friends, the good news is I'm very, very happy these days.  The even better news?  There's no bad news.  Right now the other shoe isn't dropping.  And even cooler - I'm not waiting for it to drop either.

I know I won't be happy forever.  I know that life is a series of ups and downs and middle grounds.  It's not sustained euphoria.  But now I know that I can be happy, that I am happy, and that's the best feeling that there is.  It's almost like discovering chocolate for the first time every single day - only with no calories or guilt!

No - I am not trying to shove this into the face of people who are currently not so happy.  But this is new territory for me and I wanted to see what it looked like in print.

And you know what?  It looks pretty good.

5 comments:

  1. Happiness is...knowing that you have the love of you life beside you...for better...or for worse...no matter what else is happening around you...
    Just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many many years ago when I was engaged I could not get the below tune out of my head. Sounds like you are in that place. While that feeling will likely not last forever its a great place to be.

    http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/carpenters/top+of+the+world_20027572.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling happy comes naturally. When things are going your way, it's easy to feel happy. Always be happy and feel it!

    ReplyDelete