Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Another Hurdle Cleared

Obviously not word for word, but definitely close enough to be written down:

"So I have a confession to make," she said.

His face curls into mock horror.  "Oh God, here we go again."

She punches him, hard, on his arm.  "What's that supposed to mean?"

He grins, but at least he's rubbing his arm.  "Nothing.  What's your confession?"

"I have a blog."  There, she thinks, it's out there.  For the world to see.  Can't be taken back.

"A blog?"  She nods.  "Cool, like _____land"  He names something.

"What's that?" she asks.

"It's a sports blog.  Written by my favorite writer for ESPN.com."

She sighs.  "No, nothing like that.  It's a personal blog.  Like a journal.  My therapist had suggested I start a journal, like a year ago.  So I decided to blog it."  And then, as an after-thought, "it's totally anonymous.  I write under a pseudonym."

He makes that face he makes when he's thinking.  "OK.  Can I read it?"

"NO!!"

"Why not?"  He gives her indignant.

"Cause there's a bunch of stuff in there....about you."

"What do you mean about me?"

"Well it's my journal.  So you're in it."

"And people are reading this?"

"Yes, but they don't know it's you.  The whole thing is anonymous."

"Hmm."  Still with the thinking face.  "So I can't read it?"

She sighs again.  "I've thought about this a lot.  At first I wasn't even going to tell you about it.  But I don't want there to be any secrets between us.  So then I decided to tell you.  But now...look, if you really want to read it, you can read it."

"It is good?"

"I guess so.  I can't really judge it cause it's mine."

"And people read it?"

"Yea, I don't know why exactly, but people read it."

"How many?"

"Uh...like 10 or 15 I guess."

"Well.....I would be lying if I said I wasn't massively curious you know."  He looks at me expectantly.  I look back, also expectantly.  It's an awkward stalemate.  He breaks it first.  "But it's not about sports?"

I laugh.  Well, I did write something about J-Lin" [Editor's Note:  that's what us cool insiders call Jeremy Lin].

"I'd like to read it," he finally says.  "But not if it's going to make trouble for you and me."

"Then I'll lie to you and tell you it will."  They laugh.

And that's kind of how we left it - open.  I didn't give him the link yet.  Truthfully, I'm afraid to.  If I do, I won' be able to write the same way.  I will have to conceal certain things.  You hear that David, you are fucking everything up!!  So we will see how it goes.  But I know I did the right thing.  So that's the price of right-ness I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Good move, I say! (Except for calling him J-Lin. "J-Lin"? Really???? You are a sad, sad specimen. All of y'all. Sad, sad specimens.)

    Also, you are correct. Your blog is good. Very well-written, even with the occasional alot torture session. Oh, heck, why qualify? YOUR BLOG IS GOOD. YOU WRITE VERY WELL. You also just made a very good choice. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am - thanks.

    Malka - you are evil. And thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were brave enough to do this! Continue writing! One thing though: you sure only 10-15 people read it? Or 10-15 people comment?

    ReplyDelete