Sunday, October 30, 2011

Guess Who Is Coming to Brunch

Than you to all who emailed and asked about the brunch -or as I call it, the Brunch of Doom.

In short, it was neither the worst 2 hours of my life, yet it was quite far from the best.

David showed up early, was dressed appropriately and acted like an all-star.  I'm extremely proud of him.  He was a real trooper.  He shmoozed up my dad, talking about his family (including telling over the story of how his grandfather came after the Holocaust - which always goes over really well).  They also talked business a bit.  Dad smiled a few times and seemed to genuinely not dis-like him.

Mother was, well she was Mother.  At first she did everything but handcuff him to the chair, shine a light in his face, and ask him where he was last Wednesday at 8:30 pm.  The highlight was when she asked him, with a smirk, what he was learning.  Jesus Christ.  Eventually though, she ran out of gas, stopped asking dumb questions, and even offered to make him coffee.

As for me?  Well, between the sweating and the stammering, I was a full blown mess.  I felt like a poorly trained lawyer trying to keep a prosecutor off my client.  I was so worried about what she might say or do that i could barely concentrate on anything else.

And then it was over and I all but pulled him out of the house as he graciously got out his thank yous.

Now the Brunch of Doom is over and things will go back to "normal".

And tomorrow, or the next day, she will drop a comment (or ten) enumerating all of the things wrong with him.

Can't hardly wait!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! It's over, and everyone is alive and not committed to mental institutions!
    Maybe it'll all be okay. And if not, at least David won't be at y'all's elbows as the shmutz hits the fan for you to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It's over! And do not stigmatize yourself as a bad lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was fine, and that she won't really find anything wrong with him, and that he wasn't really traumatized either... I think many parents do their own version of "grilling" the significant other... it's a bit awkward, but nothing unexpected. :)

    ReplyDelete