Monday, May 30, 2011

Fat Old Sun

Because Summer Is Starting For Everyone Else...

...Even as it leaves me behind.

About two years ago I discovered Pink Floyd actually made albums before The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon.  And, in fact, they captured me much more than the later albums did. 

While discovering Early Floyd, I discovered Fat Old Sun.  It immediately became my summer anthem song.  It's just every good memory I have of summer all rolled up into one.  I always play it over and over when the weather gets all summer-like.  Which supposedly happened over the last few days while I was in my sick-room sulking over the BBQ I couldn't attend and wasn't stopped for me.  (But I hear it was monster-buggy so...evil smile):

"When that fat old sun in the sky is falling,
Summer evening birds are calling.
Summer's thunder time of year,
The sound of music in my ears.

Distant bells,
New mown grass smells so sweet.
By the river holding hands,
Roll me up and lay me down.

And if you sit,
Don't make a sound.
Pick your feet up off the ground.
And if you hear as the warm night falls
The silver sound from a time so strange,
Sing to me, sing to me.

When that fat old sun in the sky is falling,
Summer evening birds are calling.
Children's laughter in my ears,
The last sunlight disappears.
And if you sit,

Don't make a sound.
Pick your feet up off the ground.
And if you hear as the warm night falls
The silver sound from a time so strange,
Sing to me, sing to me.

When that fat old sun in the sky is falling,
Summer evening birds are calling.
Children's laughter in my ears,
The last sunlight disappears."

And "summer's thundar time of year" is extra-appropos since it woke me up this morning!!!



And because this is a full service shop, I've linked two excellent versions of it.  The first is the original studio version off of Aton Heart Mother.  The second is a 2-part live version from Paris Cinema Theater in London, 1970 (from the BBC Archives live album).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT62hiqyOSU - Studio Version - Off the Aton Heart Mother Album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WOa2-Wv-C4 - Part 1, Live Paris Cinema, London, 1970


Please come back and comment  - let me know if the people who read me have taste or not :)  I promise to hide my contempt if you don't like it (though possibly not my scorn).  If it makes you feel better, Chana already decried it as "not her thing".  Hmmmpff.

15 comments:

  1. Not so much my speed... but this is the song that reminds me of summer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxGh6VGxuw0 ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry man..wish i could say I loved it..maybe if i let it grow on me..but not likely..
    but let me know what you think of this one

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGk4AKOwJbc

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think most of your readership will have a hard time relating to music deeply rooted in the psychedelic...good song, although i prefer If.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thing, but for music of this type, it takes me a few listens to really get into it.

    (I'm a prog rock fan)

    ReplyDelete
  5. RD - Cool song, if not overly summer-y

    AM - I have no idea how to feel about that song

    CS - I KNEW you'd bail out this crowd!1 IF IS a great song too - if not more depressing (and thus right up your alley!!) jk

    IT - Then keep listening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can get used to anything..the question is if you want to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've listened to this song before, but did not appreciate the lyrics - thanks for letting me appreciate them.

    I love Atom Heart Mother for its music. For lyrics on that album though, I prefer If to Fat Old Sun - maybe it's just easier for me to comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like AHM - I think Floyd considered the album a disaster though. If is a much deeper song, its lyrics a remorseful cry. Fat Old Sun is a summer anthem!! it's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with you - Fat Old Sun is a good "chillin', relaxing" song; If is way deeper. I think AHM is their best album with regards to using non-electrical / non-digital instruments (in AHM song, obviously).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I could debate this all day, I's argue Obscured by Clouds is a much more complete album than AHM. Alan's Pyschadelic breakfast, for instance, is a 13 minute trainwreck and Summer of '68 is ok at best.

    Meddle has Fearless, One of these days and the brilliant echoes - which might be their greatest single work. So i cannot agree with you on that

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me, San Tropez is the ultimate summer song... YMMV

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way - San Tropez is a vacation song - it's not true summer. Well i guess you are very rich :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. >Well i guess you are very rich :)

    Rolling in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL - I never took a vaca like that - YOU brought up San Tropez Mr. Moneybags

    ReplyDelete
  15. my kind of music. which is kinda why i enjoy reading your blog...matching the posts and the associations you make to the songs.

    My most meaningful Pink Floyd song is On The Turning Aaway. Speaks to me a lot about how people just accept others suffering and not doing anything.
    Also, Wish You Were Here. if you look at a bunch of my posts, they are titled using PF songs.

    ReplyDelete