Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Apples and Oranges (Or Food In General)

"Feeling good at the top
Shopping in sharp shoes
Walking in the sunshine town feeling very cool
But the butchers and the bakers in the supermarket stores
Getting everything she wants from the supermarket stores
Apples and oranges
Apples and oranges
"

(S. Barrett)

Since my never ending case of pneumonia is, I'm sure, of great interest to all of you, here's a juicy update:

I am still sick.  I'm still coughing and I still have fever.  I still alternate some nights between The Shivers and The Sweats.  I'm still on extremely heavy anti-biotics which wipe me completely out and make me utterly nauseous.  Go me!

I went back to the doctor yesterday (yes, he had hours Memorial Day).  I drove myself.  It actually felt good to be outside.  Of course by the time I got there I was in sweats and my fever was spiking (well it WAS hot out!). 

Long story short - I shouldn't worry about the fever - it's going in the right direction.  I'm running more of a low grade fever now than I was last week.  My coughing is still really bad, but that's to be expected.  It seems I have a bad case. 

But.  There's always a but right?  But what should I worry about?  Well Doc's very worried about the weight loss.  It seems  I've dropped 13 pounds since I started studying for finals.  That loss drops me below the three digit line.  Totally not cool.  The problem is, I'm never hungry and I'm always naus.  I cannot even look at food.  I keep down dry cereal, Market Pantry brand fiber bars, toast and Powerade.  Pretty much it.

I can feel it too.  Besides the fact that my shoulders and arms are starting to take on the shape of a wire hanger, I feel light headed and weak. My clothes are all hanging on me.  I haven't been to the gym in....forever and I HATE being this thin.  I can see it in, um, other parts of me as well. 

Otherwise, really there's nothing going on.  The world seems to be passing me by.  I guess all forced shut-ins feel this way.  I'd sit outside today but I know I'd be quickly overwhelmed by the heat.

So here I sit, Rapunzel in her tower, except instead of my hair growing long, I'm just getting creepily skinny.  It's funny, Anorexia was never on my long list of "at risk kid problems".  I guess it's a late addition.  And yes, I know that's not particularly funny.

But enough about me.   How are YOU doing?

8 comments:

  1. Shame man! Thats all there is to say! Sounds like you are at the end of it!Going back to work today was not fun..but what you gonna do right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya fight thru - me with pneumonia - u with work. it's all good anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully, you'll regain your appetite once you're done with pneumonia and antibiotics. Try taking pro-biotics and enzymes to help appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >How are YOU doing

    How YOU doin'?

    I am no doctor, but if you're to nauseated to eat, I'd take something like Zofran for the nausea and then some kind of Ensure type nutritional supplement shake to really boost up the calorie intake...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something to add to the menu, Trader Joe's cluster cereals, they taste great, and are great to snack on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >Isn't ensure for old people?

    Well, I don't think they card you if you try to buy it - it's just a nutritional supplement (I guess you could just make yourself milkshakes).

    The point I was making is that if you're truly nauseated, you need to get that under control first. Otherwise, you'll just puke up whatever you eat with the added "benefit" of dehydrating yourself, and ripping up your esophagus with stomach acid.

    Once you can keep things down, then quickly boost your calorie intake with high fat/high protein easily digestible food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didnt mean to equate pneumonia with work..
    the nausea I've been through way too many time..there was a period when i was just eating an ice pop for dinner..

    ReplyDelete