Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Animals

I think I mentioned this once but Pink Floyd once put out a concept album called "Animals", in which they group all people into 3 categories - Dogs, Pigs and Sheep.  Pigs are the leaders - all corrupt and dirty and eating everyone's slop.  (I also used Pigs in a post when describing a total and absolute dirtbag).  The Dogs are (at least in my understanding) the people who do all the dirty work and let the Pigs live in the slop.  They are the hired guns, the killers, bankers and businessmen establish the rough justice the Pigs need to thrive. 

Then there are the sheep, aka everyone else - the followers, the plebians.  They are ruled by the Pigs and terrorized by the Dogs.  (Until , incidentally, the sheep rebel:

When cometh the day we lowly ones
Through quiet reflection and great dedication
Master the art of karate
Lo, we shall rise up
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream. -
but that's besides the point.)
What does this have to do with anything?  Well, yesterday I was chatting with Chana (aka the Curious Jew) and she was telling me about her Enneagram Type.  Now you might be saying Enna-what?  Well rest assured I was saying that yesterday too.  So she explained to me about this test which helps reveal your personality characteristics. She said her results were pretty accurate. 

Color me skeptical.  After all, I am uncategorical am I not?  How can anyone figure out who I am and put me neatly in a box?  Based on what, a short multiple choice test?  Absurd.

Yet there she was, linking me to this test.  It was 36 questions long.  What the heck, I figured, the Korean War isn't going anywhere, I can take a few minutes to prove no test can define Cymbaline. 

So I answered each question, choosing the answer which bests describes the way I view myself and pressed "submit".

Within seconds I was a type - The Investigator.  Well, at least it sounds good.  But is it accurate?  I read the explanation box.....

Holy SHIT!  This thing pretty much nailed me to a T.  Scarily so.  Chana then sent me a longer text about my personality type - it even nailed the fact that I don't get along with my mother!  It also says that I'm either a genius or a lunatic.  Perfect. 

Let's look at this thing:  Doesn't trust other people - check.  Perceptive - check.  Cerebral - check.  Independent - check.  Preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs - um, check   (   :(    ).  Detached, high strung and intense?  Ok maybe I'm not high strung but otherwise...check.  I have problems with eccentrics and nihilists - well I never really thought about it but if you say so.

So now I'm in love with my Enneagram Type.  Had I known about this earlier, my nickname would probably be The Investigator instead of Cymbaline.   Cymbaline the Investigator - it sounds like a children's book. 

*                         *                            *                              *                            *

As a total aside, but speaking of Chana - I had the pleasure of finding her lil sis in the blog world as well.  Though under semi-strict orders to keep her blog URL a secret, I'll give her a plug without a link nontheless.    ;)

3 comments:

  1. so did i- until she decided to change the site
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email her - I'm sure she will link you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds Animal Farm-ish. :)

    Chana (and her hubby) LOVE Enneagrams. I like a lot, too, though I'll note that you can/will change Types over time, particularly as you're aware of yourself, so don't feel "beholden to type".

    I think my first conversation with Chana's (future) husband was about Enneagrams, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete